Wednesday, October 20, 2010

You Get what You Give

"Give your body tragic looking crap your body will deliver the same..."
Warning, this is more of a rant/scolding than an article, but I am certain many of you can relate

It breaks my heart when I hear about good people eating such sad looking and nutritionally flaccid excuses for meals disguised as "healthy".
What is healthy about an overly processed, ugly "thing" that is full of sodium, cholesterol, and who knows what else.

Just read the labels
Many frozen food companies use great tag words on the packaging to play into a persons desire to become "healthy", "smart", "lean" or "low fat".
BULLSH!T!

Just because it says "healthy", "smart", "lean" or "low fat" on the label it doesn't mean it is, nor does it mean you're gonna become any of those things by eating them.
All it means is the company that produced the product is smart enough to know how to play into some peoples desire to "believe" the hype.

People Want to Believe the Hype
Many of us know better, but most people are lazy and want to put their health, fitness, and happiness in someone else's hand so they have someone to blame when they don't see results.

As a fitness professional it is my desire, passion, and duty to help others sift through the smoke and mirror promises of these products by sharing information, and helping my friends and clients learn how to educate and empower themselves in order to live a happy, healthy, and balanced life.

Look at all the soft and cuddly words Lean Cuisine likes to use on their packages in order to prey on the people who are craving those things
Market Creations
Causal Cuisine
Spa Cuisine
Cafe Cuisine
Comfort Cuisine
Simple Favorites
Dinnertime Cuisine
Breakfast Classics

Just think about what each of these "cuisines" says about you in the eyes of the Manufacturer
Think about it
Would you rather look like this
Healthy Budget Meal


How about some
Ghetto Gourmet Ramen

How about this

How about this

 How about this
Refreshing and Healthy Lunch


This Fresh Quiche and Salad Looks pretty good too
Don't ya think?
All of the above meals were made at home (that doesn't have a stove top) in an oven, rice cooker, or in a bowl or plate with the use of knives, cutting board, and two hands. No additives, or preservative (cuz I have know clue where I'd get them, nor am I interested in knowing where to find them) and minimal time (since I don't have much) and with little money.

or
Would you rather look like this?
Pretty sad excuse for a "meal" wouldn't you think?

: (

Check out the Ingredients
Cooked Salisbury Steak patty with caramel color added (beef, water, onions, textured vegetable protein product [soy protein concentrate, caramel color], seasonings [ corn maltodextrin, salt, hydrolyzed soy and corn protein, dry onion, garlic, natural flavor, yeast extract, spice, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate, extractive of rosemary, beef extract, modified cornstarch, flavor (triacetin, butter acids, flavorings, butter esters), rendered beef fat, partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oil], soy protein concentrate, zinc oxide, niacinamide, ferrous sulfate, copper gluconate, vitamin A palmitate, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, cyanocobalamin], bread crumbs [bleached wheat flour, dextrose, yeast, partially hydrogenated soybean and/or cottonseed oil, salt], asparagus, water, mushrooms, contains 2% or less of: red bell peppers, modified food starch (corn, potato), margarine (soybean oil, water, salt, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, mono- and diglycerides, soy lecithin, sodium benzoate, natural flavor, artificial flavor, beta carotene [color], vitamin A palmitate), beef base (roasted beef and concentrated beef stock, hydrolyzed corn, soy and wheat protein autolyzed yeast extract, sugar, salt, corn maltodextrin, chicken fat, corn oil, onion powder, spice extractives), onions, burgundy wine* (burgundy wine, salt, sulfites), salt, sugar, sautéed mushrooms, flavor enhancer (hydrolyzed corn gluten, soy protein and wheat gluten, partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oils), xanthan gum, chicken and beef stock flavor blend (potassium chloride, corn syrup solids, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, beef stock powder, chicken stock powder, corn maltodextrin), granulated garlic, pepper (black, white), flavor enhancer (dextrose, salt, autolyzed yeast extract, modified cornstarch), caramel color, canola oil, natural flavoring, onion powder, hydrolyzed soy and wheat proteins, spice extractives)

This post was inspired by a conversation I had with friend on his FB page this afternoon
Friend's Post
"Weight Watcher Salisbury Steak w/side of Brussels sprouts"

My response
ew    : /

Friend
Living alone...not a chef!

My response
dude, I've lived alone since I was 17 till this June, that's no excuse. I always put together meals that showed respect for my time and my body. You get what you give. Give your body tragic looking crap your body will deliver the same. Stop... it!
See This for a suggestion
 
Friend
Hey...I got the veggies in!! Guess I better learn how to shop. I actually can cook when I have the stuff and take the time. Just a new challenge! (wow...I just got really chewed out!!).
This is just my attempt at portion control...
 
My response
You wont be satisfied giving your body processed crap.
I can give you one tablespoon of butter (that sure looks like a small portion) and then I can give you a can of tuna, 3 stalks of celery, a whole cucumber, some lime, and a piece of whole grain bread...you'd be super full, feel super satisfied, be nutritionally fed, save a ton of $$$ (will cost 1/2 of that frozen crap) and will have come to just a hint over the same calories as that unsatisfying tablespoon of butter. 
Check out "Magic Tuna" on the Discipline Indulgence Blog for a quick an healthy snack.
 
Friend
Well, I guess I just got my come-uppins and will take some time to shop. This is stuff I really knew, just need to shop and think about it. Kinda tired of those frozen things, anyway. Next time I post my dinner, Melissa, I will do better. You lived alone since you were 17...I haven't for 36...just learning, so be patient with me (lol).

It is upsetting to me how many people get sucked into eating unhealthy/unhappy food because of brilliant product labeling.
My friend is trying very hard to get used to a new chapter in his life, trying to embrace a healthy way of eating and has sadly fallen prey to the great minds behind the packaging.
I encourage all my friends, who love to eat healthy, clean, convenient, and delicious food, to post any quick recipes that we can share with my friend.
Thanks
: )

Your comments are encouraged.
Thanks so much for reading.

Wishing you a Happy and Healthy Day!
-Melissa Adylia Gutierrez






1 comment: